Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Update on Bella and 2nd Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina

First- thanks to those comments and concerns about Bella. We were suppose to see her on Sunday--her mother said that she would meet us and we could see her--we waited all day and she never called. I called her at 8pm--(I did not want to upset her or make her mad). She said that she was tired and we would have to try for another day. I work Tues and Wed so I told her Monday--and she said fine. Well--Monday came and went and we still have not heard from her or talked to her--or more importantly...seen Bella. I am to the point now that I can not deal with this emotionally. It is really hard on me, I am sure that it is on everyone else as well. We try not to think about it to much but it is hard when you live in a small town--I mean people know EVERYTHING about you before you do. Anyway just wanted to give everyone an update......

NOW!!!! I have a few words to write on this day--the anniversary of Katrina. This time 2 years ago I was trying to get to town to find Robert. He had worked at the mental home with the guys and I had packed the house up and stayed with my parents. At 10am we lost all communication with everyone. As the day went on my parents house started flying away--literally. We watched all the shingles and black paper and eventually the siding off of the porch. The posts that are on the porch were twisted side ways and we were pushing water out the front door. It was quite the sight. We had my parents, my sister, her husband and 4 children and me in the house. The kids were in the hallway the whole day--not good memories for anyone. Now-I know that I have digressed from the original topic of finding Robert but I will get back there--at about 6pm the rain and wind let up-we all(9 of us) loaded in my dads truck and started to town to find Robert. We got to him and all was well with him. There was no damage to the building they were staying in-there was damage to there house that they live in. A tree went through the roof of the house. When it was over we just felt lucky to all be alive and had what we needed. We did not blame anyone and have anger towards anyone. On the Sunday before the hurricane-- at church they sent us home and said to prepare for at least 3 days of no water and electricity--and we did. Everyone was told this--including NEW ORLEANS MAYOR AND RESIDENTS. I am having a BIG issue with there belly aching and drama that they continue to keep going. We all were given the same information--some prepared--some didn't. It is not the federal governments responsibility to help those that did not help themselves. There were many things they could have done to get out of there----THE MAYOR BEING the first to do his job would have helped--instead he left and went to higher ground. FURTHERMORE--the hurricane is not the cause of NEW ORLEANS problems--the levees are. That is the state government issue--they should have done there jobs and been checking up on things. I lived there 20 years ago--they knew then that the levees were bad--so why not fix them--I KNOW WHY--it is easier to blame the president and the federal government--than to step up, come together and do what you have to do to get all back to normal. The Mississippi Gulf Coast was hit the hardest as far as I am concerned--there is not one building that survived the storm. You have heard NOTHING from the Gulf Coast-except thanks and what a good job the government did in the response--WE WERE ALL TOLD TO HAVE 3 DAYS OF SUPPLIES--in and out of the church--that was enough time for relief to get to us. If you heeded the warning you were fine--if you didn't you suffered and blamed everyone else for your problems. Well now that I have vented--that feels better--it is a day in my life that I will never forget--and hopefully will not have to go through another one. Just a bit of information--my parents house is brick home about 5 years old. It just got hammered. Since the hurricane my parents have moved to Oklahoma--do not want to go through that again. Well--I tell you this so you will know that not all was as bad as NEW ORLEANS AND MAYOR NAGIN make it out to be.

6 comments:

debtfreeme said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heidi Totten said...

Amen my friend. I was just talking to my friend in Slidell about this. How on earth someone could blame the federal government for this is ridiculous. Heed the warnings, people!

tara said...

hey laura! how close are you guys to new orleans? if reasonably so, any chance you would be willing to put up with someone on your couch or floor for a couple nights? right now, looking at october 3rd and 4th.

tara said...

ps. i'm quiet, don't smell and come with good references :D

Hedderg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This IS our life said...

Hey Laura,
It's me Natalie. I am asking Kara about you from time to time was was excited to see that you are already in the mad blogging world;) I hope you are doing great. I just started a blog http://brooksrus.blogspot.com/. Drop me a line or two when you have a minute

Take care