Tuesday, July 3, 2007

GRAND JURY DUTY

A month ago I was called to be on the Grand Jury. This week I had to report to do the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. I am not sure if you know exactly what a GRAND JURY does--but here it goes.
First, we are to serve for 6 months--meeting from time to time during that 6 months.
We hear felony cases.
So--the DA brings the cases before us and we(as a jury) decide if there is enough evidence to go to trial or make an indictment.
I will be so happy when my time is up. I sat for 2 days last week and cried my eyes out.
You see, we are not allowed to discuss the happening of the meetings for this 6 months, so you go home with all of this stuff you have heard all day and try to deal with it.
There are some bad things that happen in this world and we always think that it does not happen around us--BUT IT DOES!!

3 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

Man, I do not envy you. Just one day of jury duty was enough for me. Maybe you should keep a journal so you can get it all on paper and out of your head!

Laura said...

You know, Heidi--you always have the right answers. That is a very good idea--thanks!

Lara said...

Man, that stinks. Next year you will probably see the cases you heard on an episode of Law & Order -- "ripped from the headlines." Seriously.