Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My Duty is Done

I have spent my last day on the Grand Jury. I have to say that is was not my most favorite thing to do! I have been there Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I have heard some cases that you would not believe-and in 6 months when my gag order is up--there are a few I would like to share. This is a strange world and the laws of this nation makes justice hard at times.
We toured all of the county owned buildings on Monday and the prison/jail today. It is interesting to me that when you are sent to prison-you get A/C, TV, 3 big meals a day and all the free time you could ever want. I was disgusted at the fact that there are no work programs in this prison/jail. I mean-heck-WHAT? is the punishment? I am still in awe as to how all this is bad(I would love for someone to pay my bills and me to have free time all day)-and to top things off, they are building another basketball court for them because they do not have enough(playground) equipment---WHATEVER!!!! Plant a garden, make something--DO SOMETHING!! I understand that they can not go anywhere AT ALL--like I can, but to me prison should be punishment-not privileges.
I just stopped and thought about our first year of marriage and realized we did not have cable because we did not want to spend the money--we had 3 channels to watch on TV and they have satellite---FREE!!!! I work everyday and uphold the laws--they do not--they have TV--I did not----anything wrong with this picture?
I would like to say that if anyone gets the opportunity to serve on a Grand Jury--take it. It is the only was as citizens we can change things in our community that we live in. I am glad I did it.

1 comment:

Heidi Totten said...

I feel the exact same way - put them to work!